I had been craving a Aero Peppermint bar for weeks now; every time I walked in a corner store I would pick one up then put it back. The issue is that an Aero Peppermint bar contains multiple ingredients that I don’t consume due to food sensitivities and health choices.
sugar ~ modified milk ingredients ~ lactose ~ colour
After a quick Google search I found a recipe from Eat Good 4 Life that look delicious; however this recipe still did not meet my dietary needs. After a little modification and substitutions I had a super delicious Chocolate Mint Bar.
Crust – I kept this one pretty much identical as the original recipe
- 1 cup almonds (unsalted, raw is better)
- 28 honey pitted dates
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
Filling – modified to reduce fat and illuminate banana
- 2 avocados (pitted and pealed)
- 3 tbsp cream from full fat coconut milk
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp to 1 tbsp pure peppermint extract (this one all depends on the kind you use and how minty you want your squares to be, I made mine extra minty)
- 1/8 tsp salt (I used Himalayan salt)
Topping – modified to reduce fat and double the amount
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp cream from full fat coconut milk
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- Place all ingredients in food processor combine until a meal is formed and it starts to stick together.
- Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment paper (this will make removing the bars much easier).
- Pour the mixture in the pan spread evenly then press down firmly to form crust.
- Place all ingredients in Vitamix (you can also use a food processor but I find my Vitamix works better for this) blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour on top of crust and spread evenly.
- Place pan in freezer for a minimum of 30 minutes to set filling.
- Place all ingredients in small bowl and stir until it looks like chocolate frosting.
- After the filling is mostly set gently spread chocolate topping on squares.
- Return to freezer for another 45 mins or so. After topping and filling is fully set gently remove from pan using edges of parchment paper to full squares out.
- Cut into 9 squares, return to freezer. Remove square from freezer 20 minutes before eating.
Makes 9 Servings
Calories 289; Fat 14.3g; Carbs 18.6g; Fiber 5.1g; Sugars 11.2g; Protein 3.6g
Nutritional Information Provided from data input in LoseIt.